The Governor of River State Nigeria, Nyesom Wike has reiterated his commitment to the eradication of criminal activities by making a firm statement that he is ready to sign the death penalty of any kidnapper, cultists and armed robber convicted by a court and upheld by an appellate court.
He said this during the signing of the amended River State Anti Kidnapping and Cultism Bill in River State Nigeria.
The Governor listed the Penalties as follows:
- Convicted by an appellate court for Kidnapping without murder attracts Life imprisonment.
- Convicted by an appellate court for Kidnapping and murder attracts death penalty to be signed in less than 24 hours.
- Convicted for Cultism by an appellate court without murder attracts Life imprisonment.
- Convicted for Cultism with murder by an appellate court attracts death penalty to be signed in less than 24 hours.
- All individuals and corporate bodies whose properties were used in these activities shall risk the demolition of such properties.
The Governor also assured the citizens of the state that he will do all within his power to secure the lives and properties of the people of the state. And for this reason he sighed the River State Neighbourhood Watch
Bill into law which was an executive bill.